[Ansteorra] RE: period line question

Wendy Freeman/Otte wyllowmacm at netscape.net
Tue Oct 8 07:09:36 PDT 2002

I ran across a reference to linen being bleach by rubbing the meat of a common English nut (almonds? hazels? Sigh...and I'm at work) over it.  My reference is from a book called "Brother Cadfael's Garden" (No snickers!  Despite the fact that it was initiated by the well-known fiction series, it is actually a good secondary source that uses primary sources extensively.)  I have not tried it, since I usually attempt to color fibers, not bleach it.
By the way - one reason for white linen is that it does not take dyes well, using medieval mordants.  You can get a pastel, but not much more - with one exception: blue. Woad/indigo dyes work differently, and will coat the linen fiber.  Think blue-jean color - same dye.

Otherwise, white was the easiest color to keep linen.
--H.L. Wyllow MacMuireadhaigh of the Loch