[Ansteorra] Local Heralds and Awards

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Fri Sep 6 08:17:50 PDT 2002

This has been an interesting thread! Here's how we do it in Mooneschadowe...

We have a deputy herald whose entire job it is to maintain our OP.  This
is actually fairly easy, since Master Rumil (Zodiacus, the OP Herald)
has some very nice tools for doing this -- if you're curious, go to the
OP page (http://heraldry.ansteorra.org/OP/) and scroll down to the very
bottom of the page.

The month before one of our events, our OP is printed in our newsletter,
and everyone is told to look it over and make what recommendations they
think are appropriate.

But, you say, the populace knowing what awards are appropriate? Yes, of
course! Because also regularly, we have a meeting to go over the award
structure, what each one is and what the qualifications are and so
forth.

And to make sure we don't accidentally miss those AoAs, we have a
populace list that is regularly updated (although I admit we're behind
on publishing the darned thing... ahem) that ALSO includes everyone's
awards, so it's easy to spot people without awards.  This does include
our college students, too. If they're not active enough to get on the
list, they're certainly not active enough to worry about being "missed".

Yes, we do have a monthly heraldry meeting, but I should point out that
*none* of the above is done by The Group Herald -- it's all done by the
rest of the group.

-Emma de Fetherstan
Herald of Mooneschadowe

--