[Ansteorra] New award questions

Burke McCrory burkemc at cox.net
Tue Sep 3 23:43:11 PDT 2002

At 01:42 PM 9/3/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>There were a couple of questions that came up this weekend
>when discussing award stuff face to face with people...
>
>1. How do you feel about Significant Others or close friends
>  reccomending awards for their partner?

I don't object if it is done privately to the Crown.  But I am very
uncomfortable with an Immediate Family Member/ Significant Other
campaigning for a person to get an award.  Especially if the award is
through a consultation circle (ie White Scarf, Laurel, etc.).  It is
difficult to discuss the pros and cons of a person with these people
without them taking it personally.

>2. How do you feel about petition style award recommendations?
>(Where the recommendation is written out and someone hands it
>to you to add your name to the list of signees...)

I don't normally agree with this form of recommendation.  It was sometimes
appropriate in the old days when communication was more difficult and
sometime the only way to get everyone's recommendation down was at an
event.  But with the advent of the Internet and email I don't think it is
appropriate anymore.  That having been said if someone brought me a
petition, I would look at it and if I agreed with the recommendation, I
might sign it.

Burke
Res non Verba