[Ansteorra] Chivalry & 9-11

Sir Guillaume de la Belgique SirG at chivalrytoday.com
Wed Sep 11 11:16:18 PDT 2002

In memory of those members of the SCA who fell this day, along with all
the victims and heroes ...

Chivalry Beyond September 11th
By Scott Farrell
(c)2002 Shining Armor Enterprises
www.ChivalryToday.com

The attacks of September 11th quite naturally caused people to question
their core values and beliefs. On this day, chivalry was put to the
test. Now, one year later, we pause to reflect on what has arisen from
the ashes of that terrible day.

We learned some unpleasant lessons on September 11th. We learned that
courage does not always deter cowards who attack from the shadows. We
learned that even the most law-abiding person isn't immune to injustice.
We learned that there are monsters in the world who can transform
generosity into a weapon to serve their own ends. We learned that some
hearts can only accept mercy by twisting it into hatred. We learned that
organized liars can sometimes deceive those who act in good faith. We
learned that nobility is meaningless to those who have no regard for
their own honor. And we learned that even the most hopeful person must
endure moments which seem hopeless.

Amid grief, tears and fright, many people wondered if chivalry had
failed on September 11th. They asked why the shining armor of the
knightly virtues didn't protect us from the attacks, and they
contemplated abandoning the Code of Chivalry in favor of simple
self-preservation.

This quandary would certainly have been a familiar one to the knights of
the Middle Ages who struggled to maintain their own chivalry in the face
of brutality, violence and terror. They could have chosen to hide inside
their castle walls and raise their drawbridges at the first sign of
trouble, but instead they rode out, putting themselves in harm's way in
order to demonstrate the enduring strength of chivalry through their own
irreproachable actions and unflagging virtue. And, at the end of the
day, when their armor was marred with mud, dents and scratches from the
battles they had fought, they knew that an attitude of chivalry would
shine through to hold the darkness at bay and bring hope to those
teetering on the edge of despair.

Similarly, as the madness of September 11th passed and the sun rose over
the ruins, we saw that, in the wake of the disaster, we needed to
embrace the Code of Chivalry more strongly than ever. Heroes of every
kind stepped forward to give aid and comfort to those who had been hurt
by tragedy, and we were all inspired by acts of selflessness and
courage, both great and humble. People who just a few days earlier had
been completely focused on their own lives were suddenly looking around
and asking, "What can I do to help?"

The most valuable lesson we learned on September 11th was that, although
tragedy and terror my injure our flesh and damage our possessions, these
things cannot rob us of our convictions.

Take a moment today to remember those who fell on September 11th and all
that was lost one year ago. Then, honor those memories with a renewed
commitment to serve others, to set a worthy example, to live by the
knightly virtues, and to uphold and advance the cause of chivalry today.

Readers are permitted and encouraged to share this article with friends,
family and colleagues via other e-mail lists, discussion groups and
on-line forums (please include all titles and attributions). All
material copyright 2002 Scott Farrell and Shining Armor Enterprises.
Visit us on-line to learn more about the Code of Chivalry in the modern
world at www.ChivalryToday.com .