[Ansteorra] cheese question

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Fri Sep 27 09:56:33 PDT 2002

Ritter Erasmus asked:
> If anyone has tried to make cheese at an event, please drop me a line.
> Also, does anyone have documentation for the use of cooking
> thermometers in period?

I think the mechanical cooking thermometer is post-period. We
do have evidence of them controlling temperatures by mixing a
specific amount of boiling water with a specific amount of
cold water and timing cooking by using particular prayers. Mostly
though they seem to have cooked by "cook until done" or "cook
enough".

I have however, taken the liberty of forwarding this to the
SCA-Cooks list to see if anyone there has some information
that I am unaware of.

As for the cheese question, I have taken classes at SCA events
where a soft cheese was made.

I'm interested in seeing the answers to either of these questions.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at florilegium.org