[Ansteorra] Event Limits? - Sidebar Question

Chris Zakes moondrgn at austin.rr.com
Tue Aug 19 19:14:23 PDT 2003

At 07:32 PM 8/19/03 -0500, you wrote:
>Mistress Kat brought this up ...
>> I could've sworn that I heard a change to this announced at one of our
>recent
>>  meetings.  Something along the line of Baronies can have 2 events per
>year
>> *including* their perpetual event.  Shires & cantons can host 1 event per
>year.
>
>Just out of curiosity, I know that each barony in Ansteorra has one
>perpetual event date, a set weekend every year that a barony has reserved on
>the calendar per Kingdom law.  My question is, why was this established?
>What was the reasoning for creating PEDs for baronies but not shires,
>cantons, etc. when this law was passed?  (Responders, act like I don't know
>anything, ask my wife, it's real easy to do.)

I wasn't in on the decision-making process, but I *think* the reasoning
went like this:

Some groups have "traditional" events (such as Steppes Warlord, Candlemas
in Bryn Gwlad or Namron Protectorate.) Locking those dates into the kingdom
calendar means, on the one hand, that the group doesn't have to fight for
that weekend every year and on the other hand, groups planning events near
that time will already know that, for example, Namron Protectorate is on
Columbus Day weekend, so they can plan around it.

(Bear in mind that when this was done, the number of groups in Ansteorra
was significantly smaller than it is now.)

	-Tivar Moondragon