[Ansteorra] Event Limits?

Deborah Sweet dssweet at okstate.edu
Wed Aug 20 15:27:19 PDT 2003

Perronnelle said:
>If anyone want so to run the numbers, here's the raw data:
<big snip of data>

Wow. Thanks for that. Just what I wanted.

So after trying to torture the data until it confessed, here's what I came
up with. It's entirely possible I missed something as I'm having trouble
seeing well right now.

Of the 52 weekends, 5 *as listed* had no events - however, obviously one
was Pennsic and one was Gulf Wars so I'll say 3 event-free weekends
(Thanksgiving, closest prior to xmas, and the one prior to GW). So that's
49 used weekends for events.

16 - weekends with 1 event (but let's add 2 for GW and Pennsic so it's -
18)
28 - weekends with 2 events
1 - weekend with 3 events
1 - weekend with 4 events
1 - weekend with 5 events (but there was a question mark in the data so it
probably was really a 4 event weekend)

That's a total of 86 events.

Taking out the four protected events, 82 events divided by 45 weekends is
an average of 1.8 events per weekend. Or it could be said that 69% of the
used weekends had at least two events and 31% of the used weekends had
only one event.

Other Kingdom level events held last year were: two King's Round Tables,
two Queen's Champions, King's College, Academy of the Bow, and Academy of
the Rapier (according to the list of event titles and the list of "other
Kingdom Events" from Kingdom law that is online). I've chosen to add
Heraldic Symposium and Laurel's Prize Tourney to this list. [Other listed
Kingdom level events may have been bundled up with other scheduled events,
but were not indicated from the data that Perronnelle posted.]

So of the 13 Kingdom events only three had at least one opposing event. Of
the 13 baronial ped events, only one had no competition (only one guess
what event that was).

If you look at the calendar by month, at least in 2002, the summer months
of June, July, & August accounted for 9 single event weekends (out of 14
possible weekends). Five of those nine events were kingdom level events.
Of the remaining doubled-up weekends, all were in June except for one at
the end of August. So July is a really unpopular month to hold events
(like that needs saying).

(From here on down I'll use the sum of 84 events since GW & Pennsic aren't
hosted by any of our internal groups.)

Baronies hosted 36 events - 13 peds, 4 kingdom events (both Crowns, Kings
College & a Queen's Champion), and 19 other events. So each barony held an
average of 2.76 events.

Non-baronies (30 groups: 19 shires, 9 cantons, 2 colleges) hosted 48
events - 9 kingdom level events and 39 others. Each non-barony held an
average of 1.6 events.

By region Coastal held the most with 22 events  - 26% of the events.
Central was second with 20 events (24%). North was third with 16 events
(19%); the South had 15 events (18%) and the West held 11 events (13%). Or
in other words, Coastal & Central together held 50% of the events; and the
North, South & West regions together held the other 50%.

Coastal Region had four Kingdom level events as did Central. The West and
the North both had two kingdom level events and the South had only one.

So my conclusions are thus: Yah, the average is almost 2 events per
weekend - that's full. Something needs to be done - my thoughts are to
dock the baronies back to 2 events (ped + 1), just like the rest of us.
Though I don't object strongly to the proposed change - Mooneschadowe has
long struggled to find that "perfect" second event, be it theme, date on
calendar or other. So for the past several years we've only had Guardian.
However, we've put in bids for kingdom level events and got them (Heraldic
Symposium, King's College, etc.) We've got one in now for KA&S.

Estrill
yah, another one of those opinionated Mooneschadeen