[Ansteorra] Re: Fossil memories

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Aug 28 22:51:45 PDT 2003

Shanahan the Fey answered me with:
On Thursday, August 28, 2003, at 11:44 PM, Dyan Ford wrote:

> hear of the SCA?
> What do you see as having changed the most since then? What stands out
> the most in your memories of the SCA in the last thirty years?
> Stefan<<<<
>
> Oh Boy,  what a set of questions!  Let's see how I can answer....

> In 1972, I decided that if I couldn't get to Chicago, I'd try to find
> like-minded folk in the Houston area.  So, I hand-lettered a
> 'recruitment' poster & posted it at a local Comics Convention.  An old
> friend, JL3, saw it & asked why didn't I just join the group that was
> already in Houston.  I almost freaked, demanding more info.  He said
> that a group had formed some months earlier but had only 3 three
> people.  He offered to make some calls & see about setting up a
> meeting -- which he did.  We all met on the next Sunday to try to
> restart the Barony, 7 in person & 2 by proxy.
Oh Thank you! Thank you. This is wonderful. You've given details of
both Stargate and Ansteorran history which I've never heard before. In
fact, you've managed to get this message saved for the Anst-hist-msg,
SCA-hist-msg and the placenames-msg files in the Florilegium. :-)

Sigh. What was wrong with "The Bayou Barony"? Although I guess that
would need to be changed a little bit to "Green Bayou" or "Bayou
Country" or some such.
> As to the most 'Memoriables' ... I'm afraid I'll have to put that into
> an article or something.  The email would be much too long!
Please? Pretty please? I'd love to have such articles on the early days
of the SCA or the might have been stories or just first hand accounts
of how it was different then. In some kingdoms folks think driving two
or three hours to an event is too far. From the recent discussions here
on whether the kingdom calender is overloaded or not. On whether
Ansteorra should split because it has too many groups etc, you can see
quite a contrast from what I've been told of the early days of the SCA.
I suspect that had you told folks then that there would be a choice of
two or three events every weekend, that Pennsic would have over 12
thousand folks attending, they wouldn't have believed it. The baronies
usually have more members now than the kingdoms did then.

My standard policy for Florilegium articles is that the author keeps
the copyright and I will accept updates or removal requests :-( at any
time. I just want to get interesting, useful info out there where folks
can use it and enjoy it.
> And this email has become too long also!  Thank you for your patience.
I don't think so and I really doubt very many others do either. I'd
rather read this than another flamewar on principalities. :-)

> Shanahan the Fey, MLA, OLA, OMS, Starholder
Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com