[Ansteorra] Praline question

David Hughes davidjhughes.tx at netzero.net
Sat Aug 2 21:11:55 PDT 2003

Susan O'Neal wrote:
> I'm pretty sure these are post period, but many of you guys make them
> (and are from Louisiana) and can send me recipes off list.  These are
> one of my favorite things and the ones Kit's friend brought from New
> Orleans just wern't that good, so I was going to make some.  This
> started me thinking about the fact that this is one of those things I
> learned from my mom and was never done with a recipe, you just did it
> and with whatever of the basic ingredience you had available-meaning
> I've made them possibly hundreds of different ways.  So I went to search
> for a recipe and found 10 or so and was struck by how most were things I
> had done, but all were different.
>
> I would love to hear how you all do it and what qualities the end result
> had, my favorite are the thick, creamy ones-but tend to enjoy any of the
> results.  I also noticed that they were either credited as being Creole,
> which I had expected, and as Mexican that I hadn't.  I also found the
> name of the person they were supposidly named after,
> http://www.thelouisianageneralstore.com/Merchant/pralines.html
>
> Looking forward to hearing how everyone makes them,
>
> Susan the Curious
> catmafia at swbell.net

   From various sources

Praline
Etymology: French, from Count Plessis-Praslin died 1675 French soldier
Date: 1723

  Pralines have been a New Orleans tradition since the early 1700s,
when Louisiana was still a French territory. Legend has it that a
French military officer, Count Plessis-Praslin, ordered his chef to
concoct a simple dessert made of sugar and pecans, both prevalent
locally grown crops.

  César de Choiseul, Count Plessis-Praslin (1598-1675), French soldier
and diplomat

Out of period, by roughly 30 to 60 years, but still tasty!

David Gallowglass