[Ansteorra] Praline Question

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 4 10:42:27 PDT 2003

<<I also noticed that they were either credited as being Creole,
which I had expected, and as Mexican that I hadn't.  >>

I grew up in south Texas; and they are found in every Mexican food
restaurant everywhere.  I would never have considered them a French
confectionary, but rather from Spain or Castille, as the Florilegium
suggests. As Spain and France are border neighbors, possible culture
exchange in foods occurred.

Since the recipe's simple, it's not inconcievable that it was found in
several cultures (Spain, France, native Indians of the Americas), and time
has 'standardized' the name and current form.   I prefer pralines
hard/crunchy, not soft/chewy.

Hillary