[Ansteorra] Event Limits?

Elizabeth Crouchet ecrouchet at austin.rr.com
Wed Aug 20 16:34:14 PDT 2003

It occurs to me that the issue is far more complex than  just a crowded Kingdom
calendar problem.

Okay. Some few weekends had one or no events listed. That is not the only
consideration. Not only is your event affected by the Kingdom calendar  and the
proximity of other groups events, but also when any facilities are available. With facility
rentals crowded and the Kingdom calendar crowded it can be VERY difficult to find a
weekend that can work for your group. And sometimes there are other local conflicts.
Many groups have annual events in their cities that are not SCA sponsored that they
participate in, as they should, but that also provides conflicts. And as far apart as many
of our groups are, we are still close enough to draw from the much of the same
populations at the same time.

With the population increase of both the state and the SCA  facilities need to be bigger
than in the past so that reduces the number of sites to choose from and then those sites
are heavily used by other groups. I know that in Bryn Gwlad, we try to book Candlemas
sites as much as 2 years in advance when they let us and we sometimes still have to
argue for that PED weekend. And larger facilities cost more upfront as well.

This increase in population is good for the SCA but it is straining  the resources of
individual groups in the kingdom.  >IF< Ansteorra divided >right now< into two
kingdoms, they would still be of a comparable size as far as numbers of groups goes,
with other SCA kingdoms. That is why our calendar is more crowded than those
kingdom's calendars. I just hope that our population size makes it possible for us to host
successfully that many more events at a time.

Disclaimer: I am not advocating Principalities at this time. This example is intended only
for illustration and comparison purposes.

This is such a complex issue there is no single elegant solution. But I am always in favor
of Quality over Quantity. Traveling EVERY weekend is exhausting no matter how much I
want to go to a particular event.

Just more opinions from Claire .