[Ansteorra] Event Limits?

Deborah Sweet dssweet at okstate.edu
Thu Aug 21 14:59:04 PDT 2003

Claire said:
>With the population increase of both the state and the SCA  facilities
need to be bigger
>than in the past so that reduces the number of sites to choose from and
then those sites

Hold up there. While Texas may have had an increase in *their* state
population, the same is not true of Oklahoma - we lost a US
Representative. Therefore the rest that followed that statement may not be
true up here.

>This increase in population is good for the SCA but it is straining  the
resources of
>individual groups in the kingdom.  >IF< Ansteorra divided >right now<
into two
>kingdoms, they would still be of a comparable size as far as numbers of
groups goes,
>with other SCA kingdoms.

Well, not really, at least according the numbers that Perronnelle posted
earlier about the number of groups in the other kingdoms. No one region in
Ansteorra has as many groups as the smallest kingdom (by number of groups
Atenveldt - 18). And even if we could somehow divide totally in half (21
and 22 groups), that still would put both new kingdoms near the bottom of
the rankings (ie, only Atenveldt (18) and Artemisia (19) would have fewer
groups). Somehow I think the designator "small" is to be avoided when
talking to Texans. :)

As an example of a viable principality (at least in the BoD's eyes), the
Principality of Northshield will be going kingdom in October of this year
- and they have 32 groups in their principality, already divided into
three regions. And even with Northshield breaking away from the Middle,
the Middle will still have the most number of groups with 86 (down from
118). The next newest Kingdom, Lochac, has 35 groups.

Right now Ansteorra ranks as the eighth most populous kingdom by comparing
total number of groups. If you compared kingdoms by *percentage* number of
baronial level groups, however, Ansteorra ranks number 3 with 30 percent
of our groups baronial level (behind Atenveldt and Atlantia,
respectively). We're number seven in percentages of Cantons with 21
percent. And for percentages of shires, we're number 12 at 44 percent. The
total averages by adding all kingdoms is: 21% baronial, 20% canton, 50%
shire, and 11% other. As a kingdom, Ansteorra has: 30% baronial, 21%
cantons, 44% shires, and 5% other. So we're baronial-heavy and a little
light in shires and "other" groups (though probably if we sat down and
counted up all the dormant colleges that might change a bit).

I'd really like to take the time and figure out the square miles (or some
other logical number) covered by each kingdom, and the actual number of
persons living there, and the number of persons per square mile, and
compare kingdoms across the board to see which ones really are "large" or
"small" for their areas, possible population, etc. Only then can real
meaning be placed behind these numbers.

Estrill
continuously opinionated