[Ansteorra] Event Limits?

Galen W. Bevel galenbv at ix.netcom.com
Tue Aug 26 14:05:44 PDT 2003

> On Wednesday 20 August 2003 06:34 pm, Elizabeth Crouchet wrote:
> Well, we are much bigger than a small kingdom like the Outlands with ony
30
> groups but large kingdoms have as many groups as us. The East, for
> example, which has something like 75 groups in 4 regions. The Middle has
> 84 in 4 regions and that does not count the 35 in the soon to be kingdom
> of Northshield. Yes, those are big kingdoms but they manage their
calendar
> somehow. Perhaps we should look over some of their ideas and see if they
> are worth stealing. ;-)
>

> CD

Years ago when I was Kingdom seneschal I checked into other Kingdom's
practices because our calendar was getting out of hand even then.  If I
remember correctly, one of the more common ways that large kingdoms handled
the problem then was to lock down their calendar very early.  My faulty
memory seems to remember that the Middle was one of these, but I could
easily be wrong.  What I mean is that _all_ events are scheduled in the
previous year.  If you want to have an event on the calendar in 2004, you
must have it approved, and all the paperwork done and turned in to the KS
in time to make the deadline so that the calendar for the entire year can
be published in the January Kingdom newsletter.  That means if you want to
have a 2004 Yule revel, you would probably have to get  the paperwork into
the kingdom by at least November 2003 so they have time to put together the
calendar and make the December 1st deadline for the January BlackStar. I
believe that some Kingdoms had an even earlier deadline,like June or so,to
allow lead time for the January events.  Taken to extremes, it could end up
meaning that you would have to do the paperwork on your event from 1.5 to 2
years in advance. Not necessarily a proponent or opponent of this idea, it
was just one that I remembered that I thought you all might like to hear.

Graf Galen Kirchenbauer