[Ansteorra] Garb Question

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Dec 11 18:02:14 PST 2003

Susan the Curious asked:
> I have heard that this seems to be the year of the diet, so many have
> lost so much.  On a related note, I would love to hear suggestions for
> garb in relation to this.  I figure I will wear my loose stuff while
> in the process.  The seams on my cotehardie can just come in and I
> will wait till I am at a goal to make up the Tudor I am wanting.
I'm afraid I don't have any files in the Florilegium specifically on
altering garb when *losing* weight. In fact, this is the first time in
14 years I've seen this question asked on an SCA list. Perhaps, like
their cars, SCA folks have just getting bigger over time. :-)
> Expecially with womens' garb, preganancy was a regular fact of life-so
> sizes weren't a constant.  Can someone please list some ways in which
> this has been dealt with in history.  I know the dear loose tunic
> doesn't have this problem, but I do want some fitted stuff too and
> love the early Tudor bodice.
Now this I can maybe help with. See these files in the CLOTHING section
of the Florilegium:
clothing-L-msg    (33K)  9/29/98    Period clothing for large women.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/clothing-L-msg.html
clothing-LM-msg    (7K) 11/29/01    Period clothing for large men.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/clothing-LM-msg.html
clothing-MN-msg   (62K)  9/14/99    Maternity and nursing garb.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CLOTHING/clothing-MN-msg.html

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas