[Ansteorra] Feast Etiquette

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Dec 31 12:54:45 PST 2003

On Wednesday, December 31, 2003, at 02:49 PM, Chandranath wrote:
> Arguments against throwing food at a feast:
> 1. It's infantile.
> 2. It's disrespectful to the feast stewards.
Well actually I think it is disrespectful of all the food staff from
the feast steward on down to the feast servers. Although perhaps by
"feast stewards" you were including the entire feast staff and not just
the head organiser.
> 3. It creates unnecessary work for the cleanup crew.
> 4. It annoys many people who paid to take part in the feast.
> 5. It strips the feast of all grace and dignity.
> 6. Did I mention it's infantile?
>
> Arguments for throwing food at a feast:
> ... I can't come up with any.
That there are period examples of this?

No, it certainly wasn't common place, anymore than throwing food is
common place at a state dinner or banquet today. But it did happen.

Stefan
(And yes, if you want the exact example(s), I don't think I put them in
the Florilegium yet, so I would have to dig around a bit)
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com