[Ansteorra] Border Wars III - Post Briefing

Mike Catron meggiddo at netzero.net
Tue Feb 4 08:25:29 PST 2003

Greetings from Michael of the Fray.

Hosey and I day tripped to the Border Wars III site on
Saturday, February 2nd.

Hosey was selected once again to command one side of the
various scenarios. The opposing commander was William.
The sides were picked after a compromise reached between
Hosey and William - "NO UNITS" were to be broken up
between the two forces. Hosey and William then selected
each group of fighters until everyone who was willing and
able to fight that day had a side and a commander.

DISCLAIMER

NOTE - I WILL NOT ATTEMPT TO NAME EVERYONE WHO WAS ON
SITE. I DO NOT KNOW EVERYONE WHO APPEARED AND DO NOT
WISH TO MISSED ANYONE BY MISTAKE.

Ok, disclaimer out of the way.

There was 3 open field battles and 2 gate battles, then
the 1 caravan battle. Hosey commanded one side for only
the 3 open battles and the 2 gates. Then several running
melees which see which side could hold both flanks and
roll up the other sides flanks, there was not front to
defend in these battles. Plus, numerous pick-up fights
as well between individual fighters and then slowly the
individuals formed small groups and the groups fought it out.

Total number fighting was 40 or so. Since, Gulf Wars is
roughly a month away - decided to used Gulf War rules,
especially for the archers! There is no touch kill this
year at Gulf Wars!

Once again, Hosey found himself in with few "swordsmen",
spears/poles, and initially 5 out of 6 archers that were
present and ready for combat.

The archers that took the field:

Ulstead (sp?) with a I believe a crossbow with William

Archers sided with Hosey for 3 open field battles:
Octavia with her crossbow
Daffyd with a recurve
Lothar (house Arkham) with a recurve
Slim from Falcon Rose
and I - Michael of the Fray with a recurve

Side note - 6 archers out of how many that are present
here in the Kingdom, much less the entire Central Region?
After all, how many war practices are there until Gulf Wars?
I recall that there was no non-contact archers present,
we were all heavy contact!

I will not attempt to do a arrow by arrow shot at whom nor who
got "killed". Total "kills" that I received vs. the number of
arrows shot is a low percentage. Body count - is not a matter
or rather should not be about keeping score. I look at what
type of "shots" it required to make that kill, the degree of
difficult involve that is what stays in my mind. It is all
about getting out there and having fun!

What I saw and experienced in those battles between heavy
fighter and combat archers was courtesy on both sides.
There was no heavy hand on the part of the fighters and no
rude behavior by the archers. There was only two sides
opposing each other for the sake of having fun on a battlefield
and none of the silliness that has happen in the past.

Example - some archer upset because some heavy fighter
failed to recognized that an arrow had hit them.

Another Example of this courtesy between fighter and archer:
Sir Romanius and I continued the game of "tag" that we
wound up started back in the January 5th War practice
in Mary Heads Park in Carrollton (think "FUN").
Sometimes, he would break through and come and "kill" me,
while other times - I just "shot" him. It was fun for both
us! There was times he could have "spanked" me with his
glaive or sword. He would instead tap me lightly with his
weapon and I would call myself dead. Then "Thank him for
the good death", and walk off the field. Get ready for the
next battle. The bottom line was that Sir Romanius and I
were having "FUN" this day. At the end of the day, I for
one did not care if he had many times he "killed nor did
I keep count of how many times I had shot him!

Another example from another fighter, I believe they were
from the coastal region, he broke through on the flank and
ran at me, he brushed his shield across my bow arm
(did not touch the bow) and I call myself dead. If he had
truly wished to hit me, he could have - he did not. I
took it as, "I could have lit you up.", and I saw no
reason to turn down nor insult his courtesy and
honorable gesture that he was making to me. I accepted
that I was dead and walked off the field!

Salutes where exchange between me and the fighters that I
got a hit on. Sometimes, they would look at me and I would
point to where I thought that arrow had made a good hit on them.

I sought out some of these fighters, to speak with them
about that arrow which had hit them. Asking them if it was
a good hit or not, explaining that it look that way to me
from the distance I was standing at from them. Going on to
explain that it was up to them to make the finally
call. After all, I did shoot them, but I did not feel the
arrow hit them. If they did not feel that it was a good "hit",
then I would NOT have been upset - I would have just shot at
them again in an attempt to make the next one a good hit.

After the 3 open field battles, Octavia and Daffyd swapped
sides and now I was shooting against them. The archers on
Hosey's side were now Lothar Wildhare (member of Arkham),
Slim from Falcon Rose, and myself. Two recurve bows and
one crossbow. On the other side being commanded by William
was Octave, Daffyd, and Ulstead. Two crossbows and one recurve.

Lothar and I both put an arrow in Daffyd at the same time
in the last gate battle. I also killed Octave as well in
this same battle. Plus, killing Sir Romanius as well.
It was a very good gate battle.

We broke for lunch. After lunch there was some pick-ups.
Then around 2 PM, did the caravan scenario. There was no
combat archery in this one. Once I saw the area and how heavily
wooded it was, glad, since it would have been impossible to
quickly locate all the spent arrows there.

So, I put by bow down and picked up Hosey's sword and
shield and went out to do my best. The last time I had
picked up a shield and sword was at the Fray tourney at
Gothic 2001. I did not attempt to charge nor receive one,
was there to bring up the rear and help guard the
"trade goods". Got in a couple of hits on the raiders.
The "trade goods" made it to the town.
The raiders came up empty.

Then there was the running flanking scenarios. I stayed
out there and fought some more. Not charging in, just
being the 2nd or rank and assisting those shields who
as in front of me when the opposing side made a charge.

The 3rd battle - I just got my "blood" up and actually
charged at an angle. Pressing shield to shield against
one of the guys from coastal region. We were doing good
against each other, I took another step and he lost me.
He got worry - did not see me nor could he found me.
I was where? Why, on the ground my "bad" knee gave way.
I had to have help getting up. I decided that was enough
no sense in pushing it. So I walked off the road and went
and sit down until the fighting was done.

The knee was sore and "talking" to me, but it was far
better than what it was back in 2001. I almost search
out the individual that I was fighting to talk with him
and let him know that I was all right.

It was a excellent day to be outside and be in armor. The
fighting was excellent and so was the individuals that
came out that day.

I had fun! Wish more of you could have made it.

Michael of the Fray
Unit Combat Archer for the Condottieri