[Ansteorra] RE: Free Event

Russ & Kim Rischard rischard at tyler.net
Fri Feb 21 23:37:52 PST 2003

>There might be a bit of confusion here. "Free events" are ok, but there were
>a few groups that tried to throw events that had a rented site, feast, and
>all expenses paid for by the local group's SCA money. I specifically
>remember one group wanting to have a feast catered at about $10 a head, paid
>for out of their funds, and free for the first 100 reserved. The minds was
>that the local shire had done very well over the years and this was a thank
>you for all the hard work. This was rightfully quashed by the Kingdom
>Seneschal, as was any event idea that would purposely lose money, because in
>the end, it's all the SCA Inc's money anyway.
>
>Regards,
>Timo

This group was a shire which decided that the same folks had been
officers to many times over and over again, so they voluntarily dropped
in status to a canton.  The barony was going to require them to transfer
all funds in the shire account to the barony.  All of these funds had
been raised over the years by very same people who were planning the event.

In my opinion, this event should have been allowed and I feel that those
who determined that it was improper were in error.   The bank account
may say SCA, Inc. for every group in the club, but I bet you all think
of it as your group's money.

Regards,
Duke Jean Richard Malcolmson