[Ansteorra] a question for fighters

Morgan Cain (Ansteorra) morgancain at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 9 10:37:03 PST 2003

> If you're on the battlefield in a war type situation... and your armor
> breaks...
>
> 1) What is most likely to be the problem...
>
> 2) What 3-4 items could someone have on the sidelines that would
>     be the MOST helpful?
>
> I'm working at Estrella as a waterbearer, and was wondering if there's
> anything that fighters need to repair problems and get back on the
field...
> Obviously an anvil would be right out... :-)

Zubeydah, duct tape is usually the quickest help for a fighter with a blown
strap or rivet, usually the major causes of armor failure. S/He can tape up
and get back into the game quickly.  I've been a fighter, and have done
waterbearing for <cough> years at wars and elsewhere, and this is the ONE
thing that really helps, above all others.  To actually repair the armor
takes time not available in the middle of a battle.

One thing I have done is tie a roll of duct tape through my belt, at the
back.  It is easy to reach.  Many duct tapes can be torn so you do not need
to worry about the no-live-steel rules; in many places, especially at Wars,
cannot carry a scissors or knife on the field if they let the waterbearers
in during a long hold.  I find it's easier to just not have any on me so I
don't have to disarm if they call "Waterbearers in!"  If you plan to stay
just on the sidelines, lanyard a child's scissors to your belt next to the
duct tape.

                                    ---= Morgan

"Once you have flown,
 you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,
 for there you have been,
 and there you long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci
"You can no more win a war than you can win an earthquake."
                           --=  Jeannette Rankin (1880 - 1973)