[Ansteorra] Excuses for NOT Recognizing Others' Accomplishments

Seanan mac Tighearnain seanan at elfsea.net
Tue Feb 25 09:22:24 PST 2003

copied from FireEngineering.com:

http://fe.pennnet.com/Articles/Article_Display.cfm?Section=OnlineArticles&Su
bSection=HOME&PUBLICATION_ID=25&ARTICLE_ID=169272

so we're not firemen, still valid points....

****Excuses for NOT Recognizing Others' Accomplishments****

By John M. Buckman

1. "I don't know how."
No doubt, this can be an honest and valid concern. Most folks never receive
any type of training on giving recognition.

2. "I don't have time."
For sure, time is a precious and limited resource. Most of us have more
stuff to do than time to do it in. But somehow we all manage to do the
things that are really important to us. So, if you feel you don't have time
to recognize others, it may be that you just haven't made it a high enough
priority. Besides, how much time does it take to say "Thank you" or "I
appreciate it"?

3. "People don't care about it all that much."
Yeah, right! Okay, if you look hard enough, maybe you can find one or two
people who don't care about being recognized. And you can probably find a
handful who say it's not important to them. But for every person like that,
there are hundreds who like being stroked for their efforts and
contributions. Play the odds!

4. "It's not MY job!"
Do you think that giving recognition is strictly a top-down thing that only
"bosses" are responsible for? THINK AGAIN! That's a fallacy, and it's one of
the biggest reasons why recognition doesn't happen as often as it could and
should. The fact is, supporting an environment in which people are
acknowledged and truly appreciated is everyone's job. To believe otherwise
is to assume that only supervisors need to be concerned with basic courtesy.

5. "I don't believe in rewarding people for just doing their jobs!"
Me neither! A "reward" is something special and should be reserved for
special achievement. But recognition is different. It's an acknowledgment, a
favorable notice, and a reinforcement that increases the likelihood that
people will keep doing their jobs ... and making work that much easier for
you!

6. "It becomes meaningless if done too much."
Maybe so, but most organizations have a long way to go before the meter
reads "Too Much Recognition Happening Here." Actually, it's insincerity
rather than quantity that tends to devalue recognition.

7. "I'm very limited in what I can do."
Chances are that you're limited mostly by untapped imagination. Okay, so you
don't control or even have access to money and formal award programs. Those
only represent the tip of the recognition iceberg, anyway. Get creative!
You'll find plenty of low-cost, informal recognition examples in this book.
Develop more.

8. "Sometimes it's awkward and uncomfortable."
So was the first time you drove a stick shift! But the more you did it, the
easier it got (hopefully). And the more you liked doing it! If you're
uncomfortable with recognition, there's a good chance you're not doing it
enough. Go forth and PRACTICE!

9. "People will think they've 'made it' and stop working hard."
NOT! Think about it: Do you slow down when others show appreciation for your
contributions? Enough said on this one.

10. "I don't get it. Why should I give it?"
Pure and simply because it's the right thing to do! You know how it feels to
have your efforts and achievements overlooked. You know how it feels to be
taken for granted. It stinks! Don't let one wrong become your rationale for
doing another.

John M. Buckman is chief of the German Township (IN) Volunteer Fire
Department in Evansville, Indiana, where he has served for 22 years, and the
immediate past president of the International Association of Fire Chiefs
(IAFC). He was instrumental in forming the IAFC's Volunteer Chief Officers
Section and is past chairman. He is an adjunct faculty member in the
National Fire Academy residence program, is an advisory board member of Fire
Engineering, and lectures extensively on fire service-related topics.

-Lord Seanán mac Tighearnáin
-seanan @ elfsea.net
-Dragonsfire Tor, Elfsea, ANSTEORRA!