[Ansteorra] Question: Favorite Memories of Gulf Wars

David Hughes davidjhughes.tx at netzero.net
Wed Feb 26 17:47:51 PST 2003

Chris Zakes wrote:
> At 12:16 PM 2/26/03 EST, you wrote:
>
>>--
>>[ Picked text/plain from multipart/alternative ]
>>Marching with the Elfsea 1st Baronial fighting unit with Arthur to the field
>>singing.
>>
>>Now we were camped really far out at the time. By the first set of cabins and
>>had to march up to where the merchants are now. :)
>>
>>I also remember it was warm.  Every time we get to GW I turn to my husband
>>and say "Wasn't it a lot warmer the first time??? Boy I am cold."
>>

>>I also remember waterbearing in the woods.
>>Donnel
>

> If you're thinking about Gulf War I it *was* warmer. That one was held in
> June, instead of March.
>
> My least-favorite memory of Gulf War was the Woods Battle that Wasn't--my
> group marched into the woods, killed about five Trimarians, and continued
> marching... we were halfway to Alabama before we realized that something
> was wrong. Then we turned around and tried to find our way out through the
> heat and humidity. I can recall sitting in camp afterwards, and hearing
> heralds coming through asking everyone to check on their camp mates, to
> make sure that nobody had been left in the woods. It was that bad.
>
> 	-Tivar Moondragon

Oh, Yeah!  Having finally made it back to a water station, carrying
three other fighter's armor, grabbing a bottle of water , popping my
helm and going horizontal, and having 4 different people coming up to
ask if I was OK, with the last explaining they were concerned because
it looks like steam is coming out of my mail!

On the good side, a wonderful torchlit bardic circle outside the fort,
sponsored by Robin of Gillwell.

Sitting with some old friends, telling No S**t, There I Was stories
from the old days to the youngsters, and having Count William explain
that he wasn't telling stories because he had only been playing 15
years :-)

Riding the bus to GWI.  Having the  (professional) driver comment
"I've seen a lot of enthusiastic people, but you're all sober! How do
you do it?"

David Gallowglass