[Ansteorra] Pennsic info

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Feb 27 20:21:19 PST 2003

Drachewyn asked:
 > I am really new. How long is pre-registration/registration open for and
 > what if we are not sure we can make it?
 > Also what happens if you register but find you cannot make it?
You can find the information registration, as well as a lot of other info
about Pennsic on the Pennsic website: http://www.pennsicwar.org/
Please note that that address ends with ".org". There is a pennsicwar.com
site, that has had some useful info in the past, but that site is NOY the
official Pennsic site.

Up to a certain amount of time before Pennsic you can get all of your
pre-registration money back, except for a $10 processing fee. Because the
space for a group is allocated by the number of people pre-registered to a
group, many groups will require that you pre-register in order to camp with
them. That is one advantage of pre-registering. Another is that they do not
take checks at the door, but will by mail.

Pre-registration closes somewhere near War time. I think in June, but you can
find that information on the website mentioned above.

Since I do not drive long distances, and catching rides to Pennsic was a
rather hit-and-miss affair, my first Pennsics were Pennsic 21, 23, and 25.
Notice the gaps. ;-) As of Pennsic 27, I've started flying up and I've made
Pennsic 27 through 31.

There are pros and cons to flying up. One is you avoid that 28 hour (more or
less as you see others mention) drive each way. But flying is more expensive
and the amount of stuff you can take with you is more limited. Pennsic is
really not set up for flying into, however over the last few years it has
gotten easier. You can now ship some extra boxes of stuff directly to Coopers
Lake, where Pennsic is held, for instance.

If anyone would like more information on how I've been handling the logistics
of flying up please email me since I doubt the list wants all the details.

For more information on Pennsic, you might also take a look at the PENNSIC
section in the Florilegium. Here are a few files for instance:
Eatng-Pennsic-art (24K)  5/14/01    "Eating in (Period) Style at Pennsic" by
                                        Lord Bogdan de la Brasov, CW.
BP-Thingie-art    (38K)  9/30/94    Bart's Pennsic guidebook w. Estrella addm.
    (A good overview of things to be aware of, when camping at Pennsic)
Pennsic-Prep-art  (12K)  8/22/02    "A Newcomer's Guide for Pre-Pennsic Prep"
                                         by Lady Meliora Leuedai de Ardescote.
Pennsic-water-msg  (5K)  7/27/01    Dealing with the Pennsic drinking water.
P-Food-Safety-art  (7K)  7/19/01    "Pennsic Food Safety" by Andrew MacRobb.

I highly recommend that the following file be read by those going to Pennsic
and those camping at other events in the SCA. Besides it has some nice
drawings by William Blackfox. :-)
Fire-Book-art    (739K) 12/28/00    Baron Durr's Guide to Safe Fire Use.
Fire-Book-no-pics (23K)  1/12/96    Baron Durr's Guide to Safe Fire Use. (with
                                  pictures removed for easy file transfer.)

You might also find some of the files in the SCA-CAMPIMG section to be useful
as well. In fact some of these might be of interest to those going to Gulf
Wars. Such as:
camp-kitchens-msg (29K)  2/12/02    Camp kitchen ideas for SCA use.
camp-ovens-msg    (64K) 12/24/02    Small period and SCA camp ovens.
camp-showers-msg  (23K)  8/31/02    Camp shower ideas for outside SCA events.
Care-o-Prvies-art  (5K) 11/10/02    "On the Care and Feeding of the Wild
Porta-Privy" by Lord Iain mac Caradoc.

Stefan
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com