[Ansteorra] Question 1-1b

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Jan 2 17:41:13 PST 2003

Aethelyan Moondragon commented:

> Also, Bryn Gwlad was offering a once-a-month artisans class on how to do a
> specific thing, such as make a tunic, bake a loaf of bread, etc. It was much
> more focused, but anyone was invited who wanted to learn that craft.
When I was baronial A&S minister I did arrange a monthly class such as Aethelyan

describes. I don't know if this is what she is speaking of or not. They were

not always as arts and sciences oriented as you might expect. For instance,
the first one was Master Iolo demonstrating how to fletch arrows and quarrels.
And later we had one on adding the color banding to arrows. For at least one
of these, stained glass making, I brought in an outside speaker since no one
in the barony was practicing that skill then. I think the next MoAS continued
the monthly classes but it died out after that. Unfortunately, often there
were only a few students. Once or twice, just the instructor and myself. :-(
But *I* learned some interesting things. I would still recommend anyone
interested in organising such classes to do so. While it helps to be the MoAS
or similar officer, you don't have to be.

Stefan

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com