[Ansteorra] A&S-judging forms

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Wed Jan 15 12:34:01 PST 2003

Mahee (mahee_of_acre at yahoo.com) said something that sounded like:
> I have been reading the Gulf Wars judging form for static arts. I really
> like it with a only one real fault (presentation/overall impression)
> They are not the same thing.

You are right in a sense. This is a matter of being able to have some
gut feeling points for an item. Be it the "artistic-ness" of the piece
or the artists ability to make the piece more appealing.

Examples:

- Brewing (since I know it somewhat)

  Example #1
    - An unlabled bottle on the table

  Example #2
    - Table cloth for the table
    - Bottle with label
    - Corkscrew to open bottle
    - Sampling glasses
    - Crackers to cleanse the pallette

- Documentation/Paper

  Example #1
    - Some paper that has gotten stained stappled together

  Example #2
    - Stappled into a booklet with copier paper

  Example #3
    - Sewn into a booklet with good paper with alternative color for cover

I'm sure you can figure similar examples for what you do.

> Now to what I like...everything is well defined. A person competing in
> this competition should be able to judge their own work. I would even
> ask them to do so on the form before I came around to see it. If you
> think you deserve a 3 in craftsmanship/complexity (3=Piece exhibits some
> skill and craftsmanship to produce) you should be able to stand by it.

Personally I'd love to be able to have a 'rebut' of your score if you
think it is excessively high or low. I don't think it's useful if it's
within 10-20% of what you expect, but would be good for you and the
judge to discuss it if it's way off.

> Craftsmanship/Complexity... a simple inkle woven belt done in two
> colors is not all that complex to do. Get you loom warped and then just
> send the shuttle back and forth...but the craftsmanship in making sure
> your tension is consistant and that your spacing is constant is another
> thing entirely. There is a lot of craftsmanship involved in weaving,
> but not always a lot of complexity. The statement of 10 minutes to learn,
> and a lifetime to master should say what I may be failing to say.

That is why these are 2 different sections worth the same amount. An
extremely difficult item done poorly and a simple item done well *should*
get about the same score when you add them together.

Btw, no system is perfect. Working to improve what we have is how we get
to something better though. Of course we also have issue that people are
involved and no single judge judges everything which means scoring varies
based on each judge.

Ciao,

--
Pug Bainter                                        |        AMD, Inc.
System Engineer, MTS                               |      Mail Stop 625