[Ansteorra] Other Faires

Tangwystl tangwystl at elfsea.net
Thu Jan 16 11:45:32 PST 2003

Answered off list.
-------Original Message-------

From: ansteorra at ansteorra.org
Date: Thursday, January 16, 2003 12:44:34 AM
To: ansteorra at ansteorra.org
Subject: Re: [Ansteorra] Other Faires

At 04:14 PM 1/15/2003 -0800, you wrote:
> chiara <chiara at io.com> wrote:Kinda a late thing but here is a partial
> listing of other faires around
>Texas that we could possibly be a part of to help membership drives. Are
>there others? Can anyone confirm that these are even still in existence?

First off, I am not trying to stir any pots, just get useful info. I have
never been to an actual Ren Faire, Med Faire at OU is as close as it gets
for me. I am Hospitaller in Northkeep and often get inquiries about the
SCA from ones who have been active in Ren Faires, just got another
today. I have heard many different opinions about the comparisons between
the SCA and Ren Faires and how much of a cross over interest there is.

As this forum is kingdom wide, plus some from other kingdoms, here are some
questions from a curious one:
* If you came from a Ren Faire background to the SCA, how would you
best describe the difference and which are you more active in now?
* For those who do both regularly, what are your favorite things about
both of them?
* As a means of recruiting, have many of your members come from demos
at Ren Faires?
* How would you best describe the difference to someone inquiring about
the SCA?
* As a Hospitaller, what terms are used differently in the Ren Faire
circle from the SCA that you should avoid and tips for drawing ones from
that background into a local group? We have had people visit who got very
upset as it wasn't 'what they expected it would be' and I would like to be
able to avoid this occurance.
* As an aspect of demos, how is a demo at a Ren Faire different from
those who hold in other public settings?

Thanks in advance,Susan the Curious
Hospitaller
Barony of Northkeep
Ansteorra