[Ansteorra] A&S-judging forms

Jocelyn Hinkle scribe_ari at lycos.com
Thu Jan 16 18:20:09 PST 2003

Ok, So Mahee and Pug bring up a really good point here...

 Pug Bainter wrote:
>Mahee (mahee_of_acre at yahoo.com) >> Now to what I like...everything is well defined. A person competing in
>> this competition should be able to judge their own work. I would even
>> ask them to do so on the form before I came around to see it. If you
>> think you deserve a 3 in craftsmanship/complexity (3=Piece exhibits some
>> skill and craftsmanship to produce) you should be able to stand by it.
>
>Personally I'd love to be able to have a 'rebut' of your score if you
>think it is excessively high or low. I don't think it's useful if it's
>within 10-20% of what you expect, but would be good for you and the
>judge to discuss it if it's way off.

   I have judged the last 5 Gulf Wars A&S competitions. And I admit that the judging forms leave something to be desired, but they ARE BETTER than many other forms I have used. Also there is an area for the judge to put their contact information on the judging form. I always fill this out and have not once had an artist contact me to talk about their score or my judgement.
   Personally I would welcome the interaction with the artist, as I think it is a very good opportunity for an exchange of ideas on a common topic. We could both take the opportunity to teach eachother something new. This contest is a team judged affair with one judge from Ansteorra and one from Trimaris. We spend a great deal of time discussing what we think and make joint decisions on the scores awarded. There are times when there is simply not enough documentation provided by the artist to allow us to make a higher award of points.
   I do not know how the other judges go into the competiton, but I go into the judging process with the assumption that the piece I am viewing placed highly in a Kingdom level competition to make it to the War. SO I expect to score it highly, and it is a dissapointment to me when I can not. Last year I did have the opportunity to speak to the patron Laurel of one of the entrants, and explain her judgement and places where her entry could be improved, but that was a first.
   I will be in the A&S competition pavilion this Gulf war during and after the competition for any artist that wishes to discuss their scores or the competition.

Ari
---
Find strength where there is none
left.