[Ansteorra] king of the east..please pass along

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Mon Jan 20 15:49:53 PST 2003

laetitia at doverkeep.com (laetitia at doverkeep.com) said something that sounded like:
> >Anyone. In my opinion, you can not honestly take the oath that is
> >required of you if you have those responsibilities.
> May I ask for clarification please since it appears that the above
> indicates that anyone with a family or job or even close friends should not
> fight for Crown since any or all of those mundane responsibilities has the
> potential to require that one abdicate leisure activities in favor of real
> life.

I'm sorry, but there is a huge difference between a family that has an
emergency and a profession that has obvious relocation possibilities.
The military is one of those professions, some engineering positions are
another.

When I was a Deputy Kingdom Seneschal, I had to discuss it seriously with
the Kingdom Seneschal at the time because my profession had me in
California 1 week a month and sometimes more. If that were still the
case, I would not commit to anything that required a long term committment
in the SCA - such as Crown, Landed B&B, Kingdom Seneschal, etc.

Maybe I value my oath to do my best to complete the duty put before me a
little high in that matter.

Ciao,

--
Phelim "Pug" Gervase   | "I know that I will never be politically correct
Bryn Gwlad - Ansteorra |  I don't give a damn about my lack of etiquette