[Ansteorra] king of the east..please pass along

Lisa A. May maaggie3 at attbi.com
Mon Jan 20 17:45:30 PST 2003

That's a rather silly comparison.  There is a huge difference between (1) a
person who signed up for a job that's *purpose* is to go *wherever* the
government says *whenever* the government says, and who then decides to risk
the consequences of entering Crown Tourney and not being able to complete a
reign, and (2) a person who had no way of knowing that a life-changing event
would arise within the next 6 months (e.g., emergency illness, death, etc.).
The first person gambled against the odds, KNOWING the possibility (heck,
lately, knowing the PROBABILITY) of not fulfilling the obligations he was
taking upon himself in the SCA.  The second person had something hit him out
of left field and had no reasonable way of foreseeing such thing.

Again, I make a distinction between active duty military and reservists.
The former should be willing to accept the consequences of taking the
gamble.  The latter I'm not so sure about, given that it has historically
been a relatively rare occurrence to be called up and sent overseas (how
many times in the last decade has there been massive mobilization?).  I
think those cases should be examined on a case-by-case basis.

The example you gave, however, is different from both the situations
described above.  Galen had a choice to make, and he obviously made what he
considered to be the choice that was best for him and his family.  Knowing
him, he would be perfectly willing to accept whatever consequences his
decision would entail in our make-believe world.  Had he been Crown, I'd be
willing to bet good money that he'd have found a way to honorably discharge
his responsibilities or he'd have given up the title.

Maggie