[Ansteorra] The Sable Thrown

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Thu Jan 23 07:34:33 PST 2003

Estrill asked:
>Some people fight in crown tourney just to ensure that the new crown is
>worthy of the Sable Thrown.

Ok, I'm not laughing *at* the person who said this, but ROTFLAMO. This is
a malaprop I've not seen before. So, what is the Sable Thrown: a large
black bear hide? rabbit? mink? Inquiring minds want to know. Or is it a
new game where big burly fighter-types pick up the Throne and see how far
they can throw it?
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Actually I believe that was a mis-spelling.

What was really meant was "Sable Thorn".:-) It refers to what many
Ansteorran kings feel they have sat on upon becoming the Crown.
While a lot of glory and adulation comes with becoming Crown, it
also often means a lot of responsibility and difficult decisions.

I would recommend that folks considering trying for the position of
Crown take a look at such files as this one in the Florilegium or
talk to those who have sat upon the "Sable Thorn".

crown-cost-msg    (24K)  4/20/00    The monetary and other costs of being a
                                       crown in the SCA.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/crown-cost-msg.html

I will be updating this file in the near future, but would love to have
any additions that any past Crowns would like to add.
There is also this file which perspective Crowns should read:
SCA-royalty-msg   (29K)  4/ 3/01    SCA Royalty and what they should be.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/SCA-royalty-msg.html

Lord Stefan li Rous, CSM
stefan at florilegium.org