[Ansteorra] Let's play "What's wrong with this picture"LOL

Michael Smith morganbuchanan at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 13 05:18:37 PST 2003

There are a number of armourers and more specifically armour importers who
sell armour on ebay.  One of the most active is in Houston, in fact.  Many
of them put "SCA" in the title or body of their auctions to draw more
attention from people doing a search.  Many people in the internet/armour
community have sent them messages trying to convince them to not put
misleading statements in their auctions.  The guy in Houston has stopped
putting "sca legal" or "sca combat" in his posts because we informed him
that the helms would NOT be sca legal.  Now he buys some 16 guage helms and
he does say they're SCA legal...I don't know anyone who's handled some of
those helms.  For curosity sake, I bought one helm (from a different seller,
not the one in Houston) that was "sca legal" because it was a sugarloaf with
less than 1" eyeslots and 16 guage.  It was most certainly NOT legal...the
welds were non-existant on the inside.

The whole point is, we all have to be aware that there's a lot of TERRIBLE
armour being sold on the internet, and so when we have a new fighter who's
interested, please don't just direct them to the internet and let them
loose.  Only 4 outcomes are possible:  1) They wait forever to get armour
from someone.  2)  They get bad armour that's not legal.  3)  They get
screwed and never get anything.  4)  They get good armour.  That's a bad
success rate IMHO.  It'll kill new people's enthusiasm.  There are a lot of
people in our fair kingdom who have a lot of knowlege of the armourers on
the internet.  Ask around to find them.  Many of us are on large known world
armour lists, take time to read and discuss on www message boards dedicated
to the craft of armouring, and take the time to personally meet many of the
known world's best armourers from every kingdom.

Some terrific resourses to bookmark:

http://www.armourarchive.org
http://www.arador.com

Lord Morgan Buchanan