[Ansteorra] Coronation

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 13 12:40:47 PST 2003

I would just like to say how much I enjoyed
returning home for Coronation last weekend.
The event was wonderful and beautiful. I admit
I had some doubts about it when I first heard
the plans Their Highnesses had. But the stepping
up ceremony was fun and moving. Well done to
all who helped put it on and created the
wonderful props as well as to His Majesty for writing
the script. I usually hate scripted events but
this went very well.

The weather for King's Champion was cold, but the
competition was hot. I saw some terrific bouts and
never did honor or chivalry lag. Congratulations to
Centurion Virgil for his hard-won victory over Countess
Brita in the final round. King Miguel will be well
served by His Champion.

The stepping-down ceremony of Patrick and Julia was
moving and amusing and noble. A proper reflection of
the couple themselves. I wish I'd had the chance to
speak more with them but all of us were washed away
in the flow of the populace and duty. I wasn't there
to see your reign but I've heard nothing but praise
for your wisdom, leadership and experience.

Congratulatons to Morgain Cain the recognition of the
blood you have spilled for Kingdom and Society for
so many years. The Pelican's wings will now bear much
of the burdens.

To dear Sara, your Laurel ceremony was as beautiful as
you were, sitting in the spotlight with your eyes sparkling
as brightly as the chaplet of leaves and new medallion around
your neck. The words of those who stand in awe of both you
and your work were not from paper but from the soul. And
the voices of angels who sang you to the podium and sang
your praise to the audience provided the perfect backdrop
to the touch of heaven that landed on that stage. Damn you,
you made even a cynical old Count cry.

To Viceroy Modius. Congratulations on finally wearing down the
will and logic of a Crown. But I think Their New Majesties
will demand a higher bribe.

To the Chef du Cuisine,HL Brighid ní Sheachnasaigh,you did it.
Nobody die and people are happy. As an experienced trencherman
I have to let you know that I was very impressed with the feast.
It was worthy of the event. And I'm not easily impressed with
feasts. I gave you a link of my Chain of Fealty as a reminder
of my gratitude and delight in the work you and your assistants produced.

HE Borek got things running and handled the behind the scenes
minutae that us common folk didn't have to worry about them. You
can take a bow and then get off your feet.

And finally, thank you Ansteorra. Thank you for welcoming a
prodigal son back even for a short while. Sometimes you leave
your family to go wandering the world, tired of the petty
squabbles and weighed down with the baggage you have allowed
yourself to accumulate. But when the world becomes too scary
you go home and realize that there is no other place to want
to be. I love my new kingdom of Atenveldt, but all of the
wonderful people who said hello to me and that they missed me
and the familiar faces that have been so much a part of my life
for so long filled a hole in my soul I didn't even know was there.

I love you too.

Yers,

Gunthar