[Ansteorra] A&S-judging forms

Mahee mahee_of_acre at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 15 11:13:47 PST 2003

I have been enjoying the reading of the Laurels web site. One thing I would like to see added is some actual documentation with pictures of the idem/items displayed.

Now to the main point...

I have been reading the Gulf Wars judging form for static arts. I really like it with a only one real fault (presentation/overall impression) They are not the same thing.

Now to what I like...everything is well defined. A person competing in this competition should be able to judge their own work. I would even ask them to do so on the form before I came around to see it. If you think you deserve a 3 in craftsmanship/complexity (3=Piece exhibits some skill and craftsmanship to produce) you should be able to stand by it.

The form is a simple look at the item and circle the level it seems to demonstrate.

As for my dislike I stated earlier, it is not just that one field of the form I am displeased with, but the lumping of things together.

Craftsmanship/Complexity... a simple inkle woven belt done in two colors is not all that complex to do. Get you loom warped and then just send the shuttle back and forth...but the craftsmanship in making sure your tension is consistant and that your spacing is constant is another thing entirely. There is a lot of craftsmanship involved in weaving, but not always a lot of complexity. The statement of 10 minutes to learn, and a lifetime to master should say what I may be failing to say.

All and all though I like the form and do believe that a person could judge their own work from it.

your servant,

mahee