[Ansteorra] Other Faires

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Thu Jan 16 14:21:44 PST 2003

Susan asked some good questions.

Would someone be interested in writing an article contrasting Renfairs
and the SCA? Or using Susan's questions below as a starting point? If
easier, or you thought clearer, it could even be in an FAQ type format.

I think having such an article in the NEWCOMERS section of the Florilegium
would be useful to those new to the SCA or thinking about joining. I have
gotten similar questions in the past.

My standard policy of the author keeping the copyright and making sure
the author gets credit for their work still applies.

Thanks,
   Lord Stefan li Rous, CSM
   stefan at florilegium.org

First off, I am not trying to stir any pots, just get useful info.  I have
never been to an actual Ren Faire, Med Faire at OU is as close as it gets
for me.  I am Hospitaller in Northkeep and often get inquiries about the
SCA from ones who have been active in Ren Faires, just got another
today.  I have heard many different opinions about the comparisons between
the SCA and Ren Faires and how much of a cross over interest there is.

As this forum is kingdom wide, plus some from other kingdoms, here are some
questions from a curious one:
    * If you came from a Ren Faire background to the SCA, how would you
best describe the difference and which are you more active in now?
    * For those who do both regularly, what are your favorite things about
both of them?
    * As a means of recruiting, have many of your members come from demos
at Ren Faires?
    * How would you best describe the difference to someone inquiring about
the SCA?
    * As a Hospitaller, what terms are used differently in the Ren Faire
circle from the SCA that you should avoid and tips for drawing ones from
that background into a local group?  We have had people visit who got very
upset as it wasn't 'what they expected it would be' and I would like to be
able to avoid this occurance.
    * As an aspect of demos, how is a demo at a Ren Faire different from
those who hold in other public settings?