[Ansteorra] gonna stir some bunnies

James Crouchet jtc at io.com
Fri Jan 17 22:30:49 PST 2003

Ansgar sez:
> > My point, I guess is that you can take one of two stands based on
> > this.
> >
> > a) our current model is not historically accurate so it shouldn't
> > matter if rapier were added to the mix
> >or
> >b) our current model is not historically accurate so why make it more
> >inaccurate by adding rapier to the mix.

My own opinion is very selfish, I must admit. I don't want rapier to be a
Crown activity. What benefit does rapier get? The cost is clear though; we
get some people gunning on the rapier field not because of any genuine
interest nor even because they think it is fun, but just to win Crown. No,
I do not want to add that extra politics to rapier.

Claire Sez:

>  And to illustrate his point even further, suppose we let the combat be
> by rapier and/or chivalric combat? Then how about adding Archery combat,
> A&S battles, Equestrian competition, it could go on and on.
>
> As nifty as it sounds at times, really the way it is is at least
> simple. I wish it could be different for other than Crown tournaments.
> Why not choose a landed baron by right of the most popular activity in
> the area? (I know that has it's drawbacks too.)
>
> Just some thoughts way too late at night.

No thanks again. That would mean someone could become baron & baroness
based on their skill in some sport. Now when we get a Crown this way, if
they are lousy then we only have them for 6 months. But a B&B are there
for YEARS. And changing so a B&B are only there for 6 months does not
appeal to me either. Their stability is what balances the changeability of
the Crowns.

Disclaimers: Yes, I know some places do this.

Dore (who does think it would be fun to fight in a melee for my favorite
candidate for Crown [grin])