[Ansteorra] gonna stir some bunnies

Paul DeLisle ferret at hot.rr.com
Sun Jan 19 05:56:11 PST 2003

> a) at Society level "Don(a)" is the equivalent of Lord/Lady.  It is not
> reserved at Society level for people who as White Scarves.  For
> that matter, I don't think White Scarves are styled "Don(a)
> in all kingdoms that have the award/order.  As the White Scarf
> is a grant level award in this kingdom, a White Scarf could be
> called Honorable Lord/Lady or any equivalent of that.  (I suppose,
> since Society says Don=Lord, they could be called "Honorable Don"
> or "Honorable Dona").  The Constitution of the White Scarf in Ansteorra
> states "It shall be recognized tradition in Ansteorra to address
> members of the Order as 'Don' or 'Dona'"

One caveat to that:
"Honorable Lord/Lady" has become a fairly recent term of address in the
Society, because some (*expletive deleted*) Herald somewhere decided once
that "Your Lordship/Ladyship" is a Victorian affectation, and does not
constitute period usage.

A quick glance through the Oxford English Dictionary reveals under Lordship
(definition 5: "The personality of a lord, esp. with possessive pronouns"):
literary references from 1489, 1540, 1550, 1593, and 1613, the last two
being from Shakespeare (...and many more beyond our period.) The term itself
(referring to control, dominion, and the "dignity and functions of a lord")
is dated to 897, 1330, 1398....and etc.)
"Ladyship" as a form of address dates back to Chaucer (1374), 1400, 1450,
1500, 1551...and etc.

Personally, I find the "new" form overly pompous and unwieldy. So (if you
wish), feel free to use "Your/His Lordship" or "Your/Her Ladyship", and be
proud of it!

Alden
(stirring my own pot of bunnies)