[Ansteorra] king of the east..please pass along

Chris Zakes moondrgn at austin.rr.com
Tue Jan 21 13:19:12 PST 2003

At 07:45 PM 1/20/03 -0600, you wrote:

>That's a rather silly comparison.  There is a huge difference between (1) a
>person who signed up for a job that's *purpose* is to go *wherever* the
>government says *whenever* the government says, and who then decides to risk
>the consequences of entering Crown Tourney and not being able to complete a
>reign, and (2) a person who had no way of knowing that a life-changing event
>would arise within the next 6 months (e.g., emergency illness, death, etc.).
>The first person gambled against the odds, KNOWING the possibility (heck,
>lately, knowing the PROBABILITY) of not fulfilling the obligations he was
>taking upon himself in the SCA.  The second person had something hit him out
>of left field and had no reasonable way of foreseeing such thing.

There's another aspect of this to consider: Unlike Ansteorra, I believe
that the East holds their Crown Tourney almost immediately after their
Coronation (so that the winner is Crown Prince for nearly six months, then
King for six months.) How likely was the current situation in April of last
year, when he won the tournament?

	-Tivar Moondragon