[Ansteorra] Fighting Crown "not to win"

Susan catmafia at swbell.net
Tue Jan 21 22:22:39 PST 2003

At 04:59 PM 1/21/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>Now the question was about people entering the list just to weed out the
>"unworthy".  If that is a person's reason for fighting Crown...volunteer for
>the Bye.  That is the Bye's job.  Don't enter Crown without a true want to
>win, it disrespects the tourney, the fighters, and the Kingdom.
>
>Sir Romanius
>A Bye for the last 3 Crowns and counting...

This is one of the things that has always confused me about the tournements
in the SCA.  Your reasoning for fighting bye makes perfect sense to
me.  The entering with no intent to take the office makes me think of all
the 'playing politics' issues.

With one fighting bye, how far are you allowed to progress in the
tournement and how is it handled in double elim?  In tournements I am
familier with the term, in that someone 'drew the bye' and didn't have to
'play' to progress to the next round, what are the different ways it is
handled in SCA tournement formats?

Susan the Curious