[Ansteorra] Feast planning

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jan 29 21:16:01 PST 2003

Lord Caradoc asked

> I am thinking about putting in a bid to do an up coming feast in Bordermarch
> for it s next event. It has been a log time since I last did one and could
> use a good pointer or any suggestions on the best way to put in a bid and
> feast preparations tips. I am thinking about using a Mediateariean theme.
> Well, any suggestions or ideas will be appreciated.

Have you been working in various event kitchens recently? If not, I would
recommend doing this before trying to manage your own feast. If you
submit a bid and don't get chosen, I would still recommend doing this, as
not only do you gain experience, but other folks can get some idea of how
you handle things in the kitchen.

I highly recommend that folks interested in period cooking, whether for
feasts or just for their own enjoyment, consider joining one of the period
cooking mail lists. I have been on SCA-Cooks since it began back in 97 and
have learned a great deal about both period and modern cooking. You can
subscribe to the list using the mail list page on the Ansteorra server. Be
aware though, that it can be a high traffic list with three to five (or
more) digests per day.

You might also want to look through some of the files in the FEASTS or

other food sections on the Florilegium. I don't have a file specifically
on submitting a feast bid in Ansteorra, but there are similar ones. For
instance, here are a few that might help:

Fst-Managemnt-art (12K)  7/22/01    "Feast Management" by Lady Eden Blacksmith.
Fst-Menus-art     (11K)  4/15/99    "On Rules for Feast Menus"
                                      by Lord Daniel Raoul le Vascon du Navarre.
headcooks-msg    (155K)  5/17/01    Advice for SCA headcooks. Planning feasts.
high-table-msg    (26K) 12/13/01    Setting up and serving the High Table.
Run-a-Feast-art   (14K) 11/ 2/98    "About Running a Feast" by Minna Gantz.

Rather than starting off with a full feast, you might also consider some
smaller opportunities to show what you can do. For instance:
dayboards-msg     (36K)  1/13/03    SCA dayboards, middle-of-the-day meals.
Daybrd-Advent-art (16K)  8/ 5/02    "Dayboard Adventures" by Jadwiga Zajaczkowa.

For a southern Europe/Mediteranean feast, you might find these files in
various food sections of use:
Carnival-Fst-art  (25K)  3/19/99    An Italian Carnival Feast in Delftwood.
15C-Italn-fst-art (24K) 10/24/02    Meridian Kingdom A&S Fair feast by Fra
                                        Niccolo Difrancesco. 15C Italian.
Platina-Feast-art (10K)  5/24/01    A feast from Platina by Lady Clotild.
Platina-Lunch-art  (8K)  5/24/01    An Italian lunch using recipes from Platina.
p-Italy-food-bib   (9K) 12/ 1/99    Bibliographies on period Italian food.
Platina-bib        (7K) 11/ 7/00    A bibliography on Bartolomeo Platina by
                                        Thomas Gloning.
fd-Italy-msg      (16K)  1/24/02    Period Italian food. Cookbooks.
fd-Spain-msg     (122K)  9/ 1/02    Food of medieval Spain. Cookbooks.

Stefan
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com