[Ansteorra] Court suggestion

iainmacc at juno.com iainmacc at juno.com
Fri Jul 4 04:25:03 PDT 2003

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 23:53:28 EDT Reihla at aol.com writes:
>> I'm a lighting person, BTW.  I'd like theatrical lighting for court
> and lots
> of it - I'd even run a carbon-arc spotlight if the opportunity
> presents.  The
> mundanity, heat and cost are serious drawbacks, though, so I'm
> willing to
> settle for torches or unobtrusive ceiling lights.

        Also, the glare of a spotlight is pretty rough on someone who
isn't used to it. A Court that runs until after dark may be difficult to
see, but a Court where the presiding noble looks like a raccoon because
of the bar of deep shadow across his eyes where he put his hand up to
escape the glare.... well, that has lost all semblance of dignity. I must
admit, it would make it much, MUCH easier on a Herald trying to read
scrolls, though.
        However, it would be helpful if torches/lamps could be put up
high, and thrones could be brought out from under the pavilion. Once the
sun has set, Court that is held in a pavilion with the crowd outside ends
up either being a backlit diorama or a voice issuing from a cave. Front
lighting is essential, and torches at eye level are as much part of the
problem as they are part of the solution.

              In Joyful Service,

                      Iain MacCrimmon

                    Cave Tyranniam Timorium Suorum