[Ansteorra] Sound Systems in Court (was Just a Question)

Richard Morgan rmorgan at satx.rr.com
Wed Jul 2 09:40:27 PDT 2003

I wholeheartedly agree with your statements. Let's keep the modern world out
of our courts. The best rule of thumb that I have heard was given by Baron
Jan during a planning meeting for one of Bjornsborg's early courts "In a
medieval society the court was the entertainment, nobody wants to sit and
listen to an awards parade for ten minutes much less two or three hours".
Courts should be broken up with an award or two followed by a performance
piece or food course or even a short socializing break. This idea is also
reflected by Master Ragnar when he told me that "I hate it when people shush
the audience, if my performance can't command their attention then I need to
do a better job of performing". Therefore, if everyone talks during court,
it's boring, if nobody watches the tournament then the combatants are more
interested in winning than in challenging themselves. Remember gentles WE
ARE THE ENTERTAINMENT!!!!!

Yours
Sir Richard ap Morgan Chieftain to the Court of Ansteorra

PS As nobles it is our duty to council their Majesties; so if you are in the
back of the court and cant hear, then shout out, Your Majesties we cannot
hear you in the back. If it is getting tedious, then do something about it,
stand up walk to the front of court and perform something, or quietly go to
the herald or noble running the court and suggest a break. If you are
prepared for the consequences, and they can be dire, you can, as I do,
loudly kibitz, mouth off, and crack bad jokes that are at least two subject
areas out of time. However, if you do follow my bad example, please remember
these words spoken to me by Duchess Willow after one of my more notorious
sessions during one of her court's "Richard I understand that you are acting
in a manner that is historically accurate for your persona. But it is rude
to inflict your persona upon others in a manner that infringes on their
ability to play their persona. In other words, Richard if this had been an
actual medieval court I would of had you drug out and executed. But since I
can't do that for real, you created a situation where by playing your
persona you prevented me from playing mine." So don't be rude!!!

Keeping others in mind,
Richard