Court length was (RE: [Ansteorra] Sound Systems in Court (was Just a Question))

Patty prand at swbell.net
Wed Jul 2 19:11:11 PDT 2003

Please do not remove the autocrat from court.  I know it may get long and tedious to hear all the winners of each competition but heck isn't that why we came to the event?  I would feel very slighted if I won an A&S competion (yes I am an artisan) and there was not time to announce who was winner. I like to know and actually see who won what at an event I have traveled to.   Maybe not call everyone up separately but together as a group would cut down on the time.  Or perhaps do like I have seen at some events and have the champions or winners sit at the head table, though I know this is not always possible or feasible.  They could be presented at that time.  But please do not deny them that brief moment to hear their name in court.  Word fame on some mailing list is just not quite the same.

Lady Catriona (who loves court when she can hear it)
Shire of Seawinds

Carl Chipman <cchipman at nomadics.com> wrote:
This is probably an unpopular suggestion, but how about removing the
role autocrats play in court? Is it absolutely necessary for court time
to be taken up to bring up every person who won every competition? I
know that while I personally love it when I get called up (who doesn't?
:) ) but at even medium size events, if you have 8 activities, and call
up each person and spend around 5 minutes with them in court (not
unusual) it could easily use up a whole hour of time. I think venues
like the Ansteorran mailing list or word-of-mouth are more useful ways
to disseminate the information. AS a matter of fact, I miss the fact
that people do post event reports like they used to when I first started
reading the Ansteorran list.

And before the boiling oil is warmed up, yes I've been an autocrat, and
I've taken too much time in court. Afterwards, I felt guilty.

Centurion Jean Paul de Sens

Carl Chipman
Nomadics, Inc.
cchipman at nomadics.com