[Ansteorra] Length of court/Awards/Sound Systems

iainmacc at juno.com iainmacc at juno.com
Sun Jul 6 21:49:30 PDT 2003

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 19:07:39 -0500 Paul Gilbert <niklas at pbgilbert.net>
writes:
> I for years sat in many halls unable to hear what could be said. I
> wanted
> to hear who that was, what the Crown was saying, what the nobles or
>
> presenters were saying, but because of bad or none existence
> acoustics or
> the phobia of sound systems could not. My lip reading is a bit rusty
> and I
> don't have shotgun mikes for ears.
>
> I am being a bit sarcastic here for there are ways, as well a time
> and
> place that sound systems need to be used. The hall at Canton is a
> prime
> example. The acoustics suck....
>
> It is possible thru the use of lapel mikes, wireless mikes, disguise
> mikes,
> shotgun mikes and a little common sense to mike the event or
> activity so
> one can hear.

        Also, lest anyone worry about Court ending up sounding like a
political rally or a rock concert, please let me point out that the sound
itself can be made very non-intrusive. Yes, it takes practice, so the
sound at Canton won't be perfect the first time we try it with our own
equipment, but it may be perfect the fourth or fifth time. Even then, the
same operator with the same equipment won't get the same result at Sokol
in Ennis without more practice there. However, once we HAVE gotten it
right, it can be made to sound pretty much as if you are sitting 20-30
feet from the thrones, throughout most of the hall. It takes more
speakers than a rock concert, and a gentler hand at the controls. But it
can be done.

      In Joyful Service,

              Iain MacCrimmon

                    Cave Tyranniam Timorium Suorum