[Ansteorra] Rom history

Nancy Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Jul 7 10:12:35 PDT 2003

>Message: 1
>Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 19:39:03 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Little Dancer <born2bonstage at yahoo.com>
>Subject: [Ansteorra] Gypsy vs Rom
>To: ansteorra at ansteorra.org
>
>Dearest Lord Stefan li Rous,
>My persona is actualy Irish in blood, but as my story goes, I left home at
>the age of ten and became a nomad... I did spend quiet some time living
>with the Rom and picked up much of thier culture... So while I am not of
>Roma blood, I have their heart and much of their personality.  Thank you
>for all the information... The Romani have always been a fasination of mine.
>
>~The Gypsy Brenna O'dempsy

If you are interested, a very good book which is easily found and more
current than a lot of books out on Roma culture is "Bury me
Standing".  While the book is concerning Eastern European Rom it has an
excellent history of the Rom.  The Author escapes me currently. Also If you
are familiar with the IH 35 corridor, one of the US's biggest political
group for Roma support is in Buda, mostly sponsored by Dr. Ian Hancock, who
is one of the most active pro-Roma activists currently in this and last
century.  While Dr. Hancock isn't the friendliest person in the world, he
also teaches a class at UT on Roma culture and I believe he has a book list
which is on the web.
No offense to Stefan but his book source (if the Peguin one is the one I'm
thinking about.)  is outdated and contains some erroneous materials.

Cordially,

Clare St. John