[Ansteorra] to Alden

Nancy Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jul 9 10:19:46 PDT 2003

>Message: 3
>Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 23:19:27 -0500
>From: "Paul DeLisle" <ferret at hot.rr.com>
>Subject: RE: [Ansteorra] A Challenge . . . .
>To: "Kingdom of Ansteorra - SCA, Inc." <ansteorra at ansteorra.org>
>
>*S*...it's simple, Pug... Glaslyn is asking the Irises of Ansteorra to rise
>to the challenge of Judging...a task usually reserved (nay, *restricted*) to
>the Order of the Laurel. I, for one, am heartened by the offer, and the
>trust.
>As to the "several levels" ...if a mere Iris may pre-suppose; I assume that
>the will be several categories, and the Canton is requesting a plethora of
>judges to ensure a solid level of competency.
>
>Alden
>(Iris, among others...)

Sorry Alden but I have to agree with Shanahan.  Many, many non-Laurels
judge.  It is not restricted to Laurels only.  Prehaps you are living in a
different kingdom.  (grin).  We actively encourage people to judge..... Pug
who questioned Gerita actually has been called on to judge a great and he's
an Iris (actually he judged before he was an Iris.)  I've gone out of my
way to ask Pug to judge because he's sincerely interested in talking to
people in his field and he's knowledgeable.   He's often offered to judge
and been accepted by event stewards, Laurels and other Nobles.

It has nothing to do with your status or rank.  It has to do with the fact
that you are knowledgeable, willing to judge, are sincerely interested in
talking to someone about what they do and do it in a supportive and
friendly manner.  I'm not saying every Laurel can do this.... There are
Laurels that shouldn't be allowed to judge - not because they don't know
things but because their people skills  are so appalling and they wind up
hurting people rather than helping.   (Myself unfortunately included).
         I would far rather be judged by someone who's not a Laurel but
knows their stuff and are friendly and out going than a Laurel who
isn't.  This Kingdom is lucky enough to have Laurels who are willing to
spend the whole day at an event slowly going through things and looking at
them.  I've watched Mistress Rose who is a stern but very fair judge spend
the entire day looking at anything she's been given and writing long notes
to the individual being judged.. We're constantly monitoring ourselves
about problems and are more than willing to help correct what is perceived
as bad judging or rude Laurels.   We're currently examining that fact now
amongst ourselves and I believe Gunnora has posted notes asking for that
feedback.
         I was never an Iris.... so I can't tell you of the demands of
being one.  But I am a Laurel and I can say it's people with your attitude
that makes it hard for Laurel to break off the label of being focused and
rude and unhelpful......Since I've always been known for being rude and
nasty, i would like for you to re read your comment (even if meant in a
joking fashion) and look at the tone it was written in.  It's pretty
offensive and I'm a pretty good judge since I'm a pro on it (I come with