[Ansteorra] Re: Judging

HRAFNASDOT at aol.com HRAFNASDOT at aol.com
Wed Jul 9 22:03:44 PDT 2003

In a message dated 7/9/2003 7:16:48 PM Eastern Standard Time, ansteorra-request at ansteorra.org Mistress Xene writes:

> Knowing how to judge and offer constructive criticism is a technique that
> does not come naturally to everyone.  We are still working on it, and will
> continue to work on effective judging for a long time to
> come.  There is no
> perfect method.

I am not a laurel or an expert.  I have been asked to judge things I know about and I have participated in competitions.  I have to agree with Mistress Xene - the laurels have been educating themselves and others and trying to alleviate the stress on both sides of the competiton table.  There was a very informative panel discussion at Kings College on this subject.  And Mistress Kasilda teaches the best class I've ever been in about judging items with the new judging sheets.

I highly encourage each and every artist who wishes to participate in a judged competition - know the parameters of the competition.  Read the judging sheet.  Take your items and judge yourself against that sheet.  Get someone to check your work.  Educate yourself and be sure your information and/or documentation educates the judge, or you talk to the judge yourself and be the teacher.  This is something the laurels tell us (artisans, apprentices and craft people) all the time.
I speak only from my perspective and this is only my own opinion and I hope only to help and encourage.  Please take time to look at the State of the Arts web page, talk to a laurel or ask someone you respect if you have any questions.  Knowledge and education can and will ease the strain of competition and judging.

No matter which side of the table you're on, it is your responsibility to learn the competition and judging requirements.  It will save a lot of heartache and insure that everyone enjoys themselves and participates in their own dream.

In service

HL Asa Hrafnasdottir