[Ansteorra] question

Mahee mahee_of_acre at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 9 23:36:48 PDT 2003

How do you as participants in arts and sciences events treat Laurels?
  I hope I am treating them with respect. I am frequently in awe of them, and hold them on a pedistal. They are Laurels for a reason...even when they doubt it. And I hope they realize that I listen. My grandfather did not realize that I was listening...I have tons of info stored in my squirly head from him. It seemed so amazingly useless, then 30 years later I suddenly have to tie that knot, and I know how.

Do you know what a Laurel does at an event?
  I know it is usually hard to keep up with them, and that no two Laurels do the same thing. Did I mention that it is usually hard to keep up with them?

If you were given thirty people to judge at an event and you were given 4 hours -- how long would you expect the individual person to spend with each artisan?
  Been there, done that one, found help! Still ended up judging 19 of them. I spent as long as each individual wanted me to listen...judging was done by interview.

Would you like it if you were a non-AOAer and were judged by someone who was an AOAer?
  AOA should not matter.

Would you like it if you were an AOAer being judged by a holder of the Thistle?
  I must say that I would prefer the judge to be a Thisle holder or better, but if they know their stuff, then it does not matter. Being a Thistle holder or above just says that other people know that they know their stuff. If a persons work was only judged by a person the next step up, you would loose a lot of possible learning.

How would you as an individual deal with a person who wanted to rhino-hide his or her way to a Laurel like in fighting when fighters only see winning and not the process of winning?
  I often feel that judging forms should not be the method by which to pick the winner. The form is a good feedback to the artisan, but not always the best way to pick the winner. There are those who have learned this. They have learned many of the "how to's" that make their work look really impressive. This is not to say that it is not, but it makes their work look that much more impressive, when what they have done has nothing to do with their work. How do I deal with it...I try and ignore it, judge only that wich I am to judge and truly try and keep it all in perspective.

What is your responsibility as a artisan in relating to your judge and to the event?
  My responsibility to my judge is to make sure that all the information is there in a clear and understandable format. So that my piece can be graded in a quick and easy fashion. I must also be responsible in how I handle the critique. I must make sure my work is set up in the right place at the right time and removed with equal promptness.  I ust remember that I may be the only person at the event who can do what I have done, or equally that I may be the least skilled person at the event. All are possible and I must believe that all fairness has been given to me, that all comments made were for my benifit and not as condemnation. In the end, I must be able to let it go.

I know that some days judgine A&S competitions is as easy as falling off a log, and other days it hurts like having just fallen off that log.

Clare, as one of those people who are always asking the questions, I hope I have answered yours.

your servant,
mahee