[Ansteorra] A Heraldic Question and Request of Sorts...

John Hirling jhirling at houston.rr.com
Fri Jul 18 12:43:26 PDT 2003

gonfalon -- A banner or ensign, frequently composed of or ending in
several tails or streamers, suspended from a cross-bar instead of being
directly fastened to the pole, especially as used by various Italian
republics or in ecclesiastical processions.

gonfannon -- In the middle ages, chiefly applied to the small flag or
pennon suspended immediately beneath the steel head of a knight's lance.
Also figuratively.

for the gonfalon, see http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/U3.HTM citing:
A gonfalon was an ensign
<http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/A5.HTM#ENSIGN> or standard, the
term usually being applied to an ensign having two or three streamers or
tails, fixed on a frame made to turn like a ship's vane, or, as in the
case of the Papal gonfalon, suspended from a pole
<http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/A81.HTM#POLE> similar to a sail
from a mast.
More information at
http://www.kwantlen.bc.ca/~donna/sca/flags/gonfalon.html