[Ansteorra] Theory

David Hughes davidjhughes.tx at netzero.net
Mon Jul 21 12:23:11 PDT 2003

L T wrote:
> I've been thinking a lot about views of the SCA...
>
> Some people see the organization as a game, some as "one big family," some as
> just another hobby...etc
>
> My current theory of the SCA is to see it as one of the communities we inhabit.
> We all have civic communities we live in. Some people have religious communites
> they participate in.. Some have fraternal or political communities they participate in.
> The SCA is just one more...
>
> Further I theorize that each SCA group is like a town consisting of local nobility, shopkeepers, officials, etc. Each town may be all interrelated or may be made up of
> several "families" and or non-related people. These towns hold festivals (events) periodically to encourage the exchange of ideas and promote common experiences.
>
> Here's a suggestion of the types of people in a group and those who come to festivals:
>
> Townspeople - those who participate in local official activity on a weekly or monthly basis. These people maintain the community of the group and set the tone of the grouup by working for the group and with each other on a consistant basis.
>
> Country Dwellers - these are people whose main SCA related activity is within their own
> household orgroup of friends. They participate in local offical activity infrequently and occaisionlly contribute to the workings of the local group.
>
> Visitors- people from different "towns" who mostly come to visit town festivals.  They participate in the activities arranged for by the town members and sometimes help out, but they are only present for festivals.
>
> Transients - those who feel their sole purpose in the SCA is to entertain themselves. They have little or no interaction with the local group and seldom participate in scheduled
> activities...
>
> I'm still trying to figure out terminolgy for those who participate minimally on a local level but participate and take responsibility on a Kingdom or Society level...got any ideas?

There may not be a single word.  The historical equivalent has too
many variations:

Social climber: Born in town, still lives there most of the year, but
their life is focused around the social life of the major city.

King's officer or important businessman: From the town, maintains a
home there for their family, but is hardly ever there, and when there,
just wants to be left alone.

Politician: Lives in town, but all their interests are in the circles
of power.

Three very different types, and I could probably come up with more.

David Gallowglass