[Ansteorra] Morgan's Observation

DonnelShaw at aol.com DonnelShaw at aol.com
Wed Jul 23 08:00:04 PDT 2003

In a message dated 7/23/2003 8:19:50 AM Central Standard Time,
morgancain at earthlink.net writes:

> Donnel's response to Lorraine's question was simple "Word Fame," and this
> should be more than the general "thanks everybody" at the event or a roster
> thanks posted to the local, regional, or Kingdom list.  It should include
> telling the people "back home" that this is a useful and helpful person, or
> has certain skills that the group may put to use or simply can focus on so
> the person can grow, because they may not have any idea the person went to
> your event and the roster thanks will mean nothing.  I did it recently for a
> new person from another region who helped at a local event, writing about
> her helpfulness, and the person was so new she was not yet known to the
> Seneschal or B&B, but they asked the Hospitaler about her and I would guess
> are encouraging her and helping her to settle into the SCA

I just realized that I am guilty of something. Not making sure my term is
defined and understood by all.
When I think of Word Fame the picture that comes to mind is Ragnar looking to
someone and saying with accent "Did you know what ...... did?.........."  He
would go around giving praise over and over.  Word Fame is making sure
everyone knows what a wonderful job that person did.  Take the time to stop and tell
the person they are doing a good job. Take them by the hand to whom ever and
introduce them and give them word fame. Invite them to your camp that night for
a drink. When they get there give them word fame again and make sure everyone
there can hear you. (Don't yell just speak loud.) Or you can just quietly
tell them Thank you. Make sure you give them your full attention when you give
the praise and thanks.  I always try and pick out those people who work hard but
are quiet and shy to say thank you to.
Contessa Vanessa carries little trinkets with her for thank yous. The three
children that served us at Coronation she stopped and told them what a
wonderful job they did and gave each of them a little bracelet. She is always doing
that kind of thing. Ask yourself are you? If not start and make a difference.

Donnel