[Ansteorra] Sound Systems in Court (was Just a Question)

Cairenn Day cpenny at swbell.net
Wed Jul 2 11:29:49 PDT 2003

As to solving the problem, by making Courts more entertaining.  Our
events have gotten so large, that hearing is a problem, even if no one
is being noisy.  The other problem with entertaining Courts, is the time
factor.  Courts are too long, as they are, add entertainment, and
Warlord Court could take hours.  I too, remember the days of yore, when
there were fewer people, therefore, fewer awards, courts were shorter,
often they were entertaining, and most everyone listened.  The problem
is we are not a small group anymore, there are a lot of people who have
earned awards and they need to get them and that means courts from hell,
and these in turn, lead to bored people who can't hear.  Some courts are
going to need sound systems.  The length of courts could be reduced by
the Crown allowing the Landeds to hand out more awards.  However, this
could be seen as reducing the importance of lower level awards, and
there are many people who may never get the higher level awards.  My
suggestion, let the Landeds handle AOA level awards, but not the bare
AOA, unless it is someone from their home group.  We also need more
small events, where short entertaining, fun courts could be held, if a
few awards were handed out at these events, that would reduce the length
of some courts and leave time for them to be more entertaining.
Recently, Lindenwood held a small, on calendar, event.  There has been
an amount of discussion about how much everyone enjoyed it, we had a
chance to visit, awards were given and all could hear.  It was better
for everyone.  The crowded calendar has encouraged larger, more busy
events with longer, harder to hear courts.  There is often so many
things going on, that people are either taking part in or helping with,
that court is the only time you may see people, so people try to visit
and if they can't hear court, but they need to be there for a certain
item in court, its not surprising they talk.  What about a separate
visiting area where a herald would announce people called into court,
then what award they got and other pertinent items.  This area would
need to be close enough that the people in this area could get to court
quickly, but not so close so that their talking would disturb court.
Just an idea.

Cairenn