[Ansteorra] on awards and court length

Zubeydah zubeydah at northkeep.org
Sun Jul 6 08:54:59 PDT 2003

I like the idea of multiple courts, rather than shifting out what awards are
'worthy' enough to come from the hand of Their Majesties... here is why:

When I wander through the jewel-bright memories that i have garnered in my
short span thus far in the SCA, several shine with the radiance of the sun.
Primary among them is receiving my Award of Arms from the hand of Their
Stellar Majesties at the Crown Tournament just a few short months ago.

It was a moment of utter joy:   To be recognized, and have kind words of me
spoken to the mighty assemblage of Ansteorra, that the King himself had
noted my service... remembered me from Estrella... liked the chocolate...
:-)

Ask anyone at the waterbearer's tent that morning: my feet didn't touch the
ground for HOURS.  Ask anyone at fighter practice three days later. I was
still glowing. You could have plugged me into an electrical outlet and I
would have lit up half of Northkeep.

Perhaps it is selfish of me... but I would not wish to trade that moment for
15 minutes of sleep after a long night court.... or even receiving the same
honor more quietly from the hand of the Baron and Baroness who have been an
example to me. No slight in any way... but that was THEIR MAJESTIES.  It is
a moment I will always treasure.

Yes, some courts can be long. But I look at the faces of those being called
up and I see in their eyes the same delight that was undoubtedly upon my own
that day not long ago.   There was a thread a short time back on this list
about recognition, and how important it is to recognize those who serve.
Awards are a tangible means of recognition, and vitally important in a
volunteer organization. I don't know, myself - Perhaps it gets boring to the
recipiant after their fifth or sixth time receving an award.  I'd be willing
to wager it is not, though. That moment is vital - because it reinforces
both the Dream in the recipiant and the Royalty who get the fun of rewarding
them, and perhaps brings back memories in the most olded and jaded of us...
or inspires the newest.

- zubeydah